Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cassidy gets stitches

Apparently stitches in the head are becoming an annual event at the Heward household. Friday March 22 Cassidy had to go to the ER in Thermopolis and have stitches in the back of the head. All the kids had been sitting on the couch and diving at each other and pulling each other off the couch onto the floor. I had just gotten after them that it wasn't a good idea and to go play with some toys. Madison had hopped off and Cassidy was about to when Statton tackled her wrapping his arm around her neck and pulling her off the couch and smacking the back of her head on the heater on the way down. I of course lost my temper. I yelled and Statton gave him a swat and marched him to his bed to stay while I went to comfort Cassidy who of course was crying. When I went over to get her I thought the back of her hair looked a little discolored but I thought it was a play of the lights but when I did a double take and pulled back some hair I realized she was bleeding pretty bad. So we got some paper towels and sopped up the blood and tried to get a look at the damage. It wasn't terribly huge but it gaped open enough that I felt she probably needed some stitches to close it up. So I told Blair we needed to go in and made everyone get their shoes on. Statton of course got out of bed to get shoes on and started just bawling when he realized what he had done to his sister. 

 Like I said it wasn't the hugest thing ever but it gaped open enough to require some stitches. So after getting to the er and getting checked in and examined by the nurse she went to call the doctor. I asked her if he was coming from home and she said yes that they don't keep a doctor in-house. Not that our thing was a real emergency but I'm thinking what do you do when something major comes in. Oh well small town living I guess. So the doctor came in probably about 15-20 later and looked at it. He said yea we probably could have gone without and she just would have had a bigger scar but atleast with stitches the scar will be smaller so he gave me the choice to stitch or not to stitch. He said if it was his daughter he would probably stitch. Good enough for me sew her up! As you can see from the picture she was so distraught by the whole thing.

Finished product! She got two stitches and I think it looks much better. Brave little thing she didn't even flinch when they numbed her head and did the stitching. Afterwards we stopped and picked up some chocolate ice-cream per Cassidy's request. What a way to spend a friday evening. We were joking on the way home that next year it is Madison's turn for stitches. She of course did not agree. Let's hope that's true.

No comments: