Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The twins have arrived!

Cassidy
Statton

February 17,2008 our twins were born. They were taken by c-section at about 4:18 sunday afternoon. I went into active labor at about 1:00 that afternoon and the nurses and doctors weren't able to get me stopped so I was prepped and whisked off to surgery. Blair had just arrived home in Burley when I called him and told him that our kids were coming tonight sometime and that he needed to get back to Ogden. He didn't make it in time because things moved a lot quicker than anticipated. He was going over Sweetzer summit when I called him to tell him he was a dad.Our little girl came first and weighed 4 lbs and 16 3/4 inches in length. Our little boy came about 5 minutes later and he weighed 4 lbs 5 ounces and was 18 inches in length. They were both taken to nicu right away and I was told they were doing well. I was taken to recovery for about 45 minutes and then they wheeled me into the nicu to see the babies before taking me back to my room to rest. She was intubated right away and given some surfactant for her lungs. He was intubated awhile later and then was taken off late that evening. She was able to have her intubation tube and oxygen taken off late monday night. They did some lab work and found that she has an infection in her body so they are currently treating her with antibiotics but are still unsure exactly what kind of infection she has. The Nurse Practioner told us for as sick as her lab work says she is she doesn't act sick at all. She's very active and responsive. They will keep checking her labs and will treat her with antibiotics for atleast 7-10 days. He isn't showing any signs of an infection so were hoping he'll stay that way.
I ended up running a high fever sunday evening so they took some blood cultures and also started treating me with some antibiotics. My blood work came back showing a high white cell count which means I've also got an infection somewhere so they are going to keep me on antibiotics for awhile. The doctor figured that between me having an infection and our little girl, between the two of us that's what probably put me into labor. So all in all it's probably a good thing I had the babies when I did so they could get our little girl treated. We've officially named our twins. We named our boy Blair Statton Heward, he will be called Statton. We named our little girl Cassidy Heward. They were born at 33 weeks and 1 day. We all did pretty good!

4 comments:

Stephanie B said...

Congratulations. I'm glad to hear that everything went well. I'll be looking forward to pictures ofthe baby.

Unknown said...

Kristen, I noticed Cassidy does not have a middle name: whats with that? Just kidding Love Mom

Andrea said...

We are so happy for you all. We are glad that you are all doing well. We can't wait to see you and the babies. We are so excited to get to know them. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Get well and come home soon! We love you guys!!
CAKES

Carl D. said...

Cassidy doesn't get a middle name...I seem to remember someone else feeling bad about not getting a middle name. Glad to hear everything is going well. I appreciate you giving me my first niece. Can't wait to have you home. Keep resting, you will need it when you bring those two home. Love, Carl.