Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cassidy gets her tonsils out

Well I had gone home during the first part of September to bless my sisters new baby and while home I was sitting up with the kids one night (Kailyn, my sisters 1 yr old, had woken up so I was trying to get her back to sleep.) It gave me the chance to listen to Cassidy. She had started snoring probably about a year ago but I  never thought it was that bad until I actually sat there that night and was able to listen to her for about 20 minutes. She would snort loudly and act like she was trying to catch her breath and then she would toss and turn a lot. I decided since I was home to make an appointment with the local ENT doctor. Before her appointment I took her over to Twin Falls to St. Lukes x-ray department where I work (sometimes) and had a friend of mine shoot a side picture of her skull to see if her adenoids were enlarged. At her appointment with Dr. Patterson he said that the x-ray showed that she did have very enlarged adenoids which when she sleeps and her tongue falls back would block of her airway and cause difficult breathing. He also said that her tonsils were quite enlarged and one of them was actually touching her uvula. We scheduled her for surgery that friday September 21. 

 Well here we are on surgery day and she had been so excited all week to have her tonsils out. We are lucky to have a grandmother who works as a Surgical Nurse because when Cassidy got there that morning she had a new Rapunzel doll waiting in the bed for her.
 Grandma was even able to pack her back to the surgery room and give her the gas to put her out so they could start her IV and then the surgery.
 Here she is post-surgery and not as excited as she was going in. Dr. Patterson said things went well.
 My mother brought me her tonsils to look at and they were very big. I felt bad she had to deal with them as long as she did.

She was pretty happy to lay on my lap and watch cartoons until she woke up. She was suppose to take it easy for the next few days and work her way up to eating solid foods again but mostly stick to liquids. She did great! I was expecting her to go home and sleep off and on for the day but she stayed awake all day and was even up walking around and playing a little with her brother and sister. She was even talking and liked the sound of her "raspy" voice. Blair came home for that weekend to see us since she was having surgery. We were in Rock Springs at the time so not a far drive. The next morning she was wanting some pancakes but Blair told her no and was trying to get her to have some jello or pudding instead but she didn't really want that. At lunch time while Blair was gone with the other two kids she was asking me for a turkey sandwich so I went ahead and gave her some and she ate it with no problem. She never wanted any of the soft foods or popsicles I had bought. She recovered wonderfully from the surgery and only complained once in awhile that her throat hurt a little. Ever since then she is soooo quite when she sleeps and is even getting up earlier in the morning. I think she was trying so hard to breathe at night she never slept well and that's why she slept in so much in the mornings. I'm so glad we got this done.

No comments: