Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Still hanging out

I'm beginning to think that I've taken up permanent residence at the hospital. I've been contemplating if I should go see if they have any job openings in the Radiology department to help pass my time and help pay for these soon to be outrageous hospital bills. Maybe they would give me an employee discount!? The nurses here keep promising me that they've never kept any babies past kindergarten age. That makes me feel better(roll eyes here.) Thats my little tangent for the day so heres the update.
Cassidy is still eating like a champ. She doesn't care if the food is cold or warm she just wants to eat. She is currently sitting at 4 lbs 7 ounces and 18 inches long. WOW! She started having some specks of blood in her stool again. The doctor thinks that the inflammation she had is still healing but isn't concerning. To be on the safe side they are switching her to yet ANOTHER type of formula that is designed specifically for babies with blood in their poop. We will just have to keep an eye on her.
Statton is the one who might be the death of me. We just can't get the kid to want to take all of his food. He eats a little bit and then passes out and I can't wake him up enough to finish the rest. When he does eat he gets so excited that he puts all the milk he can stand in his mouth before trying to swallow and then forgets to breath. Then we have the monitors going off because he dropped his heart rate and his oxygen levels. ARGH! I've been trying to be the patient mom but it's been hard to watch your child choke on his food and not eat what he needs. At the rate he's going I just might have to take a job here. All joking aside he's actually improved from the previous week. I keep praying that the little light bulb inside his head will flip on and he'll learn to eat overnight. I'll let you know how that goes.
Either way I couldn't ask for two healthier little kids. I'm just so glad to have them here after all these years that I should be able to handle a few weeks of waiting for them to come home. I'll work on that.

3 comments:

Hild Family said...

Sounds like you're doing a great job of hanging in there. I wish my kids were still itty bitty at times. It's fun to look at the pics of yours to relive those times.
Michelle

Andrea said...

I love your layout! It turned out cute. Hang in there. Statton will figure things out soon and you'll be home. We love you and miss you. We can't wait to get to know Cassidy and Statton. We are all soooo excited. See you soon!

Leslie said...

This is a VERY frustrating time but hang in there. I can't believe how fast Abree has grown and I remember looking back and wondering if the NICU life would EVER end. It does and it will happen sooner than later! Reading your blog makes me think been there done that and I know EXACTLY how you feel at times. It make me want to cry just thinking about Cassidy and Statton bunking together in the same bed. I was so excited for that day to come but never got that chance. The whole "getting a job at McKay" definitely ran across my mind as well. Hang in there! Your getting close to coming home.